[Starlink] [Bloat] Of interest: Comcast AQM Paper

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 16:31:44 EDT 2021

On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 2:40 PM Dick Roy <dickroy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> I assume by WiFi what is really meant is devices that have at least one WiFi (layer 1/layer 2) interface. While there are queues in the MAC sublayer, there is really no queue management functionality ... yet ... AFAIK. I know IEEE P802.11bd in conjunction w/ IEEE 1609 is working on implementing a few rudimentary queue mgmt functions.

Thx for the steer to the relevant stds orgs. I dread discovering what
they are up to... However, there is plenty of queue management at the
txop layer.  The structure we put into the linux softmac layer is
described in "ending the anomaly":

The wifi management layer, however, is largely unmanaged, and in some
dense circumstances wifi mgmt frames have been observed to be eating
the most of the airtime available.

> That said, seems any AQM in such devices would more than likely be in layer 3 and above.
>
> RR

Fixing Starlink's Latencies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gLo6Xrwgw

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC