[Starlink] speedtest.net takes a look at sat internet around the globe

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu Aug 12 22:10:29 EDT 2021

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021, Ulrich Speidel wrote:

> Indeed. But there is more to this than that. Basically, each satellite
> in an inclined orbit crosses each parallel (latitude) up to its
> inclination twice per orbit. Since there is a lot less length of
> parallel at higher-numbered latitudes, parallels with latitudes close
> the the inclination get more satellite crossings per mile of parallel
> per hour. So more rockets isn't going to change the density disparity
> unless their satellites will go into orbits with vastly different
> inclinations (which I hope they will).

the first shell is all the same inclination, but they have launched enough to
get full coverage even down to the equator. later shells are going to be a
different inclination.

see the wikipedia page on starlink for the description of the different shells
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink#Constellation_design_and_status. phase 1
is ~4200 satellites (they've launched ~1700), phase 2 is an additional ~7500 at
a lower altitude, and they've talked about wanting a phase 3 that would take the
total count of over 40,000 satellites.

David Lang