[Starlink] some details on the DTN, bundle protocol, and a capacity question

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sun Dec 12 15:47:05 EST 2021

I am a fan of Fountain codes - however, it only works if you have all the
data you are going to send in hand before encoding.
David, if there is a way to do this with data that is being generated on
the fly with sensors, that would be of interest.

Of course, one can "chunk" the data, fountain-code it, and reconstruct
"chunks" on receipt.

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 3:39 PM David P. Reed <dpreed at deepplum.com> wrote:

> It's worth noting that the patents on Bill Luby's digital fountain codes,
> etc. have pretty much inhibited one of the best solutions for DTN out
> there. There's one exception - RFC 6330, which has a very, very specific
> use of the RaptorQ code specified in it. Qualcomm apparently negotiated a
> license for that very specific use in that specific protocol, as long as it
> is never used in "wide area wireless" (see the details of the narrow
> license here) networking. https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2554/
>

> Rateless erasure codes of ANY kind appear to be covered by the claims in
> the early Digital Fountain patents.
>

> Now why are rateless erasure codes important for DTN? Well, essentially
> such codes have a *unique* property that is pretty surprising:
>

> The coded form of any N-bit message (composed of segments that can be
> lost, e.g. checksummed frames that are deemed lost/erased if the checksum
> fails), is an infinite sequence of non-identical segments. If a receiver
> receives a subset of distinct segments, totalling N or more bits, the
> entire N-bit message can be reconstructed.
>

> That's what makes the code "rateless" - it works for ANY error rate, and
> is optimal for that error rate.
>

> To solve the DTN problem, you simply send each message as a sequence of
> coded segments. No windowing is required, no retransmission of packets that
> are lost on one hop is required. Eventually, the message gets delivered,
> and it will take no more time than the error rate on the path requires.
>

> That's remarkable.
>

> There are of course some issues to resolve - when should a message source
> assume that its message has been reliably and completely received by the
> intended destination?
>
> This is the "end-to-end" problem. If there is a reverse channel, once a
> message has been received, the receiver should, at least each time it
> receives a segment of some already completed message, send a single ACK for
> that message.
>

> Now this is great for talking to a spacecraft that has a very low speed
> and noisy reverse channel.
>

> Any number of messages can be concurrently sent from any number of sources
> (the requirement is that each message has a global unique ID).
>

> Fair sharing of a multiplexed deep-space network's resources among many
> concurrent messages is a bit more tricky. That's where "early ACks" might
> be used in an advanced erasure code (one I doubt has been patented fully,
> at least I've never seen that).
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> Now, my personal view about *patents* on communications protocols is very
> severe: since interoperability is the *essence* of communications
> protocols, the idea of patents is antithetical to the utiliity of
> protocols. Just as mathematical algorithms should not be patentable subject
> matter, neither should communications protocols (which are just algorithms
> on a different abstract machine).

> [...]

Please send any postal/overnight deliveries to:
Vint Cerf
1435 Woodhurst Blvd
McLean, VA 22102
703-448-0965