[Starlink] Starlink and bufferbloat status?

Nathan Owens nathan at nathan.io
Fri Jul 16 13:13:42 EDT 2021

Elon said "foolish packet routing" for things over 20ms! Which seems crazy
if you do some basic math:

   - Sat to User Terminal distance: 550-950km air/vacuum: 1.9 - 3.3ms
   - Sat to GW distance: 550-950km air/vacuum: 1.9 - 3.3ms
   - GW to PoP Distance: 50-800km fiber: 0.25 - 4ms
   - PoP to Internet Distance: 50km fiber: 0.25 - 0.5ms
   - Total one-way delay: 4.3 - 11.1ms
   - Theoretical minimum RTT: 8.6ms - 22.2ms, call it 15.4ms

This includes no transmission delay, queuing delay,
processing/fragmentation/reassembly/etc, and no time-division multiplexing.