[Starlink] Starlink and bufferbloat status?

Mike Puchol mike at starlink.sx
Fri Jul 16 17:40:15 EDT 2021

If we understand shell as “group of satellites at a certain altitude range”, there is not much point in linking between shells if you can link within one shell and orbital plane, and that plane has at least one satellite within range of a gateway. I could be proven wrong, but IMHO the first generation of links are meant of intra-plane, and maybe at a stretch cross-plane to the next plane East or West.

The only way to eventually go is optical links to the ground too, as RF will only get you so far. At that stage, every shell will have its own optical links to the ground, with gateways placed in areas with little average cloud cover.

Best,

Mike