[Starlink] Starlink and bufferbloat status?

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sun Jul 18 15:17:29 EDT 2021

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021, Michael Richardson wrote:

> David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>    > As there are more staellites, the up down time will get closer to 4-5ms
>    > rather then the ~7ms you list, and with laser relays in orbit, and terminal
>    > to terminal routing in orbit, there is the potential for the theoretical
>    > minimum to tend lower, giving some headroom for other overhead but still
>    > being in the 20ms range.
>
> I really want this to happen, but how will this get managed?
> We will don't know shit, and I'm not convinced SpaceX knows either.
>
> I'm scared that these paths will centrally managed, and not based upon
> longest prefix (IPv6) match.

unless you are going to have stations changing their IPv6 address frequently, I
don't see how you would route based on their address. The system is extremely
dynamic, and propgating routing tables would be a huge overhead. Remember,
stations are not in fixed locations, they move (and if on an airliner or rocket,
they move pretty quickly)

I expect that initially it's going to be centrally managed, but over time I
would expect that it would become more decentralized.

David Lang