[Starlink] [Bloat] Of interest: Comcast AQM Paper

Neal Cardwell ncardwell at google.com
Sat Jul 31 18:55:53 EDT 2021

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 3:27 PM Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If we see that AQM appears to be not functioning as expected
>  for upstream connections on DOCSIS3.1, what's the right avenue
> for getting that resolved?  (and does that only apply to the
> Comcast-owned, vs. customer-owned, modems?)

FWIW, from the paper it sounds like not all Comcast cable modems
had/have PIE, which enabled the A/B experiment:

"10. Latency Measurement Results
As explained earlier, for two variants of XB6 cable modem gateway,
upstream DOCSIS-PIE AQM was enabled on the CGM4140COM (experiment)
variant but was not available on the TG3482G (control) variant during
the measurement period. The TG3482G variant used a buffer control
configuration that predated AQM in DOCSIS."

neal