[Starlink] dynamically adjusting cake to starlink

Nathan Owens nathan at nathan.io
Wed Jun 9 11:32:46 EDT 2021

>  At any given time, a satellite may have ~10k cells under its footprint
that it can serve, and GSO exclusions can exclude between 15% at high
latitudes and 25% near the Equator. It has three arrays for downlinks and
one array for uplinks, with 16 beams per array. Thus, it can train up to 48
beams towards the ground, and receive from up to 16 locations on the ground
at any given time. Thus, to cover each cell, there is a physical TDM
element, plus an additional multiplexing element for each terminal in each
cell. If we assume a satellite has a capacity of ~20 Gbps, limited by the
Ka links from satellite to gateway, each spot beam is capable of delivering
~416 Mbps through each spot beam. If we assume symmetrical performance, the
16 uplink beams from the one panel would “take in” ~416 Mbps per beam.

I think based on the gateway docs from Anatel, we know this number is
probably closer to ~13-16Gbps per Ka antenna, with likely only 1 active.
Given not every user would be receiving data equally, the peak speed per
cell is probably >400Mbps, we've seen speedtests over 500Mbps.
I'm also guessing radio resource planning is pretty dynamic, or will need
to be, I doubt it's a fixed 200/70ms kinda thing.