[Starlink] dynamically adjusting cake to starlink

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed Jun 9 12:39:42 EDT 2021

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
    > Would be nice if there was a generic mechanism for this but since several of
    > these devices use L2 I think it'd have to be something LLDP like (also on
    > L2).

Yes, that makes sense, or using a PPP LCP attribute for DSL links.

    > Dave, how often does information regarding rate/scheduler need to be
    > distributed from the scheduling node to the node that is trying to not use
    > the upstream buffer? I presume this is in the 0.1 to 1s range, because the
    > scheduler might change quite frequently and substantially?

I wonder if LLDP like updates that frequently.
I'm told that on multi-port (like 48) ethernet switches, that the LLDP
channel from fabric to control plane is rate limited to around O(10) packets/s!
This might be irrelevant to the applications we are imagining.