[Starlink] ipv4 address space?

Dave Taht davet at teklibre.net
Fri Jun 11 09:52:24 EDT 2021

I am of course happy that with a real OS (linux/pfsense/openwrt) in front of the dishy that an dhcpv6-pd ipv6/56 can be had.

… frustrated that the lease time is only 5 minutes and changes sometimes in under 24 hrs. Most OSes still don’t handle an ipv6 retraction all that well, and only apps like “mosh” can stay nailed up when the underlying ips change.

while we’ve had ipv6 “source specific routing" and “bcp38" working in openwrt for 7+ years now, I doubt that’s working anywhere else.

I got two questions:

1) How much ipv4 address space does starlink actually have? (and how tight is the market nowadays?)

2) how often does the external ipv4 address change?