[Starlink] Fwd: Microstate Accounting and the Nyquist problem

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Jun 11 21:40:00 EDT 2021

Measuring things across network is indeed made a lot easier if we have a
solid, precise, synchronized clock at the end points.

(I would have thought that Starlink would have had a built-in clock
based on the resonance of the heavy isotope of Elonmuskium.)

HP once upon a time had a patent on using GPS to get that time sync for
doing network measurements.  But that was in the 1980's. One hopes that
that patent has long since faded into dust.

(Not long ago I wrote a fairly simple tool that runs on Linux on cheap
hardware, I call it "C-Clamp" that wraps around a device or network
(such as a satellite uplink and downlink) and sends packets to itself
and collects numbers so it can generate statistics about the amount of
delay, its stability (are there bursts, and if so, how big and how
often), losses, etc etc.  Since it has a single clock it can get some
fairly high precision time measurements.)  I thought it would be fun to
slap one of these around two Starlink dishes located at the same
location (or within a distance I could cross with a single Ethernet cable.)

I've long been intrigued by all the interesting stuff that astronomers
derive by watching deviations of periodic or predictable events.
There's an astrophysicist at UC Santa Cruz who apparently is interested,
as am I, whether we can apply those techniques to measuring paths on
networks.

For one project I was going to buy a big bag of ESP32s (fun little
systems-on-a-chip) and use them as network pulsars that would emit a
predictable pattern of packets of various size, times (and intervals,
sometimes bunched together sometimes widely separated.)  A receiver
could lock onto the pattern and from the dissonance between the emission
times and the reception times could intuit things about the path.

I understand that RIPE has done something like this.

     --karl--