[Starlink] GPS Dongle?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Jun 14 15:07:05 EDT 2021

Yo Nathan!

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:40:36 -0700
Nathan Owens <nathan at nathan.io> wrote:

> Sorry, it was MACx-1, but either way, I decided to go for an Adafruit
> Raspberry Pi GPS "Hat", which does 1PPS.

I do not recommend that HAT.  There are much better ones available at
similar prices.

> I'll setup a raspberry pi
> with RT_PREEMPT

RT_PREEMPT is overkill.  The best you can get on a RasPi is about 54ns
accuracy.  Due to the clock granularity of 54ns.

> and run as a Stratum-1 Clock locally.

But always have other chimers in your configuration file.

> This should
> help with better irtt timings. This can be done for <$100 if anyone
> else wants super accurate time.

For some definition of "super".

> > Does anyone know if any MAC1-X GPS dongles or anything similar are
> > available anywhere?

They pop up now and then.  Right now GPS parts are hard to find, much
less at good prices.  Search for Navisys GR-601W, GR-701W, or GR-801W.
The "W" suffix says it outputs PPS.

The MAC1-X, or any PPS over USB, will only get you to > 1 milli second
because of the USB.

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588