[Starlink] plotting all the data

George Burdell gb at teklibre.net
Thu Jun 17 16:18:14 EDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 08:49:22AM -0700, Matt Mathis wrote:
> Some time recently I read a casual paper (on Medium I think) that made the
> point that deep diving into outliers and understanding them has led to a
> half dozen Nobel prizes, because they lead to discoveries of phenomena that

Regrettably there are no Nobel prizes for networking. The closest thing
we have is the jon postel award:

https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2021/05/nominations-open-jonathan-b-postel-service-award-2021/

> nobody else had even noticed.  See for instinance the Holmdel Horn
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmdel_Horn_Antenna

We use a stylized version of that image for the

"cosmic background bufferbloat detector array". :)

We're pretty close to getting that fully online, with just some backend
software left to write, and some front end code to port to iOS, and
to add more clouds to the array.

If anyone here has sufficient go chops to get irtt ported to ios it would help.

postgres skils also.

> To keep sane, I tend to keep outliers and clip them as last as possible,
> e.g. by choice of graph axis.  This way I have the opportunity to notice
> otherwise hidden patterns.

A combination of the full dataset plotted linearly along with a cdf plot
works best for us.

> In mlab data we sometimes see outliers that suggest "out of bounds" data
> rates.  e.g. a repeated test that clearly has a max rate of 50 Mb/s or
> something, and then every so often a one test at 200 Mb/s or higher.   My
> assumption is that these are from software managed shapers that
> occasionally fail to properly load their configurations.      (I admit to
> not having looked hard enough to prove this hypnosis).

I am mostly interested in detecting the "sloshiness" from the broken
virtio-net driver (lacking bql, and being quite common in clouds), at
the moment.