[Starlink] on using and debugging lossless congestion control (RFC3168 ECN)

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:47:03 EDT 2021

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 8:06 AM Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>     > It came up recently that a lot of folk don't like the idea of dropping
>     > packets as a congestion
>     > control mechanism. Like loss or not... the fundamental paper on this
>     > subject is Van Jacobson and Mike Karels:
>
>     > "On congestion avoidance and control"
>
>     > http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs244/papers/CongestionControl.pdf
>
> I saved this post a long time ago.
> http://www.sandelman.ca/mcr/humour/vanj-enet-posting.txt

That was a *great* piece of history thx. And he referenced greg
chesson's work on XTP,
( https://grainger.illinois.edu/alumni/distinguished/9560 )

Greg was an early consultant to the bufferbloat project...
he sadly passed before we ever had a chance to jam together.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9795462

> There is another one about how he crashed Interop, which I don't know where I
> put.

More folk should have seen van's codel preso at ietf 84. It was the
very very early days of webrtc.

https://archive.org/details/video1_20191129

--
Latest Podcast: