[Starlink] how codel works to manage tcp queue delay

Dave Taht davet at teklibre.net
Sun Jun 27 12:55:41 EDT 2021

This talk at stanford is still the best one I’d ever given on codel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxoa5Si4Ubw

The codel portion starts about 25 minutes in:

the ACM queue paper,  which is excellent but has an incorrect wifi model (since corrected), is here:

https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2209336

In all my other talks to before and since… usually when I get through how tcp works, the audience and I are wiped out and we never get to the codel part, much less be able to talk about rfc3168 ecn or fair queuing…

It’s pretty clear - in re-viewing this talk so many years later, we lost much of the audience - but kathie and I at least, had a ton of fun.