[Starlink] Starlink throughput / bufferbloat change?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 21:38:00 EDT 2021

Dear Darrell:

Toke ended up writing a new test that we haven't deployed yet

 https://github.com/tohojo/flent/commit/ec5dd227cec7f0b8316a7e5c8551fd44c4f9a985

which works for the flent tests (like rrul) that use irtt. Install
flent from git... Try a rrul test from any location in the cloud, or
at home, or over wifi or 5g to fremont.a.taht.net (one of my
measurement servers in the cloud)... or dallas.starlink.taht.net

A dishy is available without sqm on between 1AM and 6AM PDT at
dishy.taht.net (through an ipv6 wireguard tunnel.  (you are
d2.taht.net)

Moving forward, simplifying things (single flows) and since irtt was
not used by our tcp_nup and tcp_ndown tests, a new one "nup"  is under
development which has a few new things like SCE support.

I do have some data on you from today from my cloud, but hey, if you
have energy... please try out something like

flent -H dishy.taht.net --socket-stats --step-size=.05 -t
'whateverthetestcondidtions" --irtt-sampling-interval 3ms -l 100 rrul

and let us know what you find? (the flent-gui can generate plots, you
can also output plots from the command line) The tcp RTT plot is my
favorite.