[Starlink] funding... and getting up on ipv6

Dave Taht davet at teklibre.net
Sun May 30 13:13:59 EDT 2021

I think, like many here, taking a break for the holiday is a first priority and I’ve been no exception. I just took 2 glorious days off. I also decided, after thinking deeply over the vast scope of work needed, not just to develop a better router for starlink, but to also polish up the codel algorithm and some statistical graphics, that it would be best to write up a proposal for funding from various sources.

The deadline for some cash from nlnet is june 1. I have two other potential funding sources.  I’d like rope in some more participants on writing this proposal, and more, in spending it properly, a student or three to write up 3 good papers, and if any potential funders exist...

…  if you are interested, please email me privately.

In terms of testing ipv6 further this weekend… we hope to remove the starlink router at my location and upgrade to an edgerouter or a linksys 1900 this evening, PDT, and resume testing overnight.

All that is then needed for various starlink<->starlink ipv6 tests from here is that netserver (part of the netperf package) and irtt server be running on your target, we have a dns name for it, and that the firewall, if any, be opened on the right ports. Having one more netserver setup somewhere on a starlink node would be grand. Doing this more restricted test will isolate sources of bufferbloat related problems to being starlink’s more exclusively.

If you have a linux box on your side, willing to loan me root access, and can’t get this far,  my ssh key is attached which you can put in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys so I can get on.