[Starlink] Starlink tidbits from NANOG

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Thu Nov 4 21:46:08 EDT 2021

> On Nov 4, 2021, at 11:46 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - new dishes are in the works, v4 coming with lower power use, more capacity, not round any more
>> - larger dishes coming for commercial apps
>
>> - as we know, they aren’t doing any AQM yet, but it sounds like it may be in the works and we may see it in new code in 4-6 months. Not my guys department, so no more details.
>
> fq is a better start.
>
> Just someone telling me under pain of death, "dave, you can't talk for
> X months, but we're going to do cake/fq-codel/pie/something" would be
> comforting. There's a whole internet elsewhere left to fix, starlink
> getting it right and a little publicity around it would do wonders...
> and certainly wifi is highest on my list. As it is, I got annoyed
> enough last week to try and get the autorate sensing code to work well
> on starlink. There's a prototype now that seems to be working well on
> lte, see here: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/cakes-autorate-ingress-testing-needed/108848/186

Forgot to say that I did pitch the advantages of lowering latency and jumping over many other terrestrial providers for congestion control. My guy was ground networking though, but I can hope it will get passed over. Hoping I can stay in touch with them and continue to pipe things in and out of their black box...