[Starlink] Starlink tidbits from NANOG

Ulrich Speidel ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Nov 5 18:12:49 EDT 2021

On 5/11/2021 2:05 pm, Nathan Owens wrote:
> > They are using waves back to regional DCs now, but will be moving to
> > dark fiber over the next year or two
> If that means "radio" waves, then this goes a long way to explaining why
> there's already limited capacity even near the US-Canada border.
>
> Waves in this case generally refers to 10G/100G leased optical circuit
> capacity.

Thanks for clearing this up, that makes sense now!

Now I note that a single Starlink ground station is generally within
sight of and set up to handle multiple satellite links (all known images
show 6 or more radomes). As each bird has ~20 Gb/s capacity, I guess
we'll probably be talking 100G circuits here (where they can get them).
And the move to dark fibre is a logical step then.

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science

Room 303S.594 (City Campus)
Ph: (+64-9)-373-7599 ext. 85282