[Starlink] how widely used is gpsd?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Oct 22 20:00:54 EDT 2021

Yo Dave!

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 15:49:40 -0700
Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was of course puzzled as to why the dishy wasn't providing stratum-1
> time in the first place,

If dishy has a gps/gnss receiver, with PPS, and runs some sort of POSIX,
then the only reason is ignorance, or lack of developer time.

> but perhaps they didn't want to take a detour back to 2002?

Pretty much every GNSS recevier out there, until the last few years, has
GPS Week Roll Over problems.  Gotta save $0.50 that NVRAM would cost...

> I hope this update goes out quickly, gary.

Gentoo, Debian, and Ubuntu picked it up quickly.  After that, up to the
users.

I think I'll head to the hills for a bit after Saturday.

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588