[Starlink] thinking about the laser links again

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Oct 26 13:51:51 EDT 2021

Mike Puchol <mike at starlink.sx> wrote:
    > I could bore you to death but here’s a quick test you can do: grab a
    > laser pointer and try to keep it on a target the size of the laser dot
    > on a wall 10-15 meters away. You’ll quickly see why doing that at

I fail, because the cat attacks me :-)
(our cats somehow know when we get the laser pointers out, even if the
batteries are dead...)

    > The logical thing to start with would be to keep every shell
    > interconnected, but not to try to cross-link shells. For this,
    > ground-to-satellite links come into play.

Or they could interconnect using microwaves, couldn't they?
It's all just different parts of the EM spectrum after all :-)

    > How do you make capacities in the petabits per second around your space
    > segment useful? You need to deliver to the ground eventually. IMHO the
    > only way this will hapen is ground-to-satellite links, with the ground
    > stations either in a few, as cloudless as possible locations, or many
    > stations in as geographically diverse configuration as possible, so
    > that at least some will not have cloud cover.

    > Once you have the ground links to each shell, they can be used to
    > offload to internet backbones, or you can relay data between shells,
    > without complicating your pointing & tracking on the satellites.

What about going the other way? Interconnect via GEO?
Or something resonant to the earth that is not quite so far?

    > Mark Handley makes a very good job at explaining in this video (and
    > others he has posted): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEIUdMiColU

Thnk you for the link.