[Starlink] thinking about the laser links again

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 21:12:15 EDT 2021

I spent some time today looking over the job listings for clues (
https://www.spacex.com/careers/index.html?search=linux ) BGP/ISIS
keeps cropping up. It really also looks like they are inventing their
own SDN along the way. And: their public BGP table has gained a bunch
of ipv4/21s lately with a few users reporting a routable IP for a few
days or weeks. I do hope they find a ipv4/12 somewhere or better, as I
think they've discovered CGNs are not particularly fun, and their
projected growth for the next year or two would be within that, (and
one fantasy I harbor is they peer with a bunch of outback BGP AS
holders with a "pro" service)

I've been trying for a few years to get some industry interested in
leveraging 240/4 (at least within their CGN for dishy to dishy comms),
there's a preso on it at the upcoming ietf intarea:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-240/

I know that's kind of a blue sky thing, but all the code has been
working for years in both bsd and linux, as well as in multiple big
iron routers, amazon, and in openwrt (where we tested it first). Just
someone with balls and $s needs to step up to become a space RIR and
try to make those addrs more routable than we already have....

Anyway, good discussion on this thread!!! but all of you failed to
answer my humdinger question - *when* will they be able to route a
packet from new york to tokyo over the laser links? That kind of event
would be a world network latency record - right up there in
significance with the first inter-imp comms oct 29 1969:

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET#/media/File:First-arpanet-imp-log.jpg

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 3:53 AM Mike Puchol <mike at starlink.sx> wrote:

> I cannot add more than the real experts on the networking / topology side, but on the lasers themselves, a question was raised about multiple links. The only way to do it economically is to use a single optical train per link (includes laser TX and photon detector, mirrors, power control, attenuators, etc.).
>
> I raised the idea of an FSOC “flashlight” to what could be counted as people in the top 10 worldwide list of experts in the field. Here, a beam would be made wide enough to have multiple “clients”, as for radio sector antennas. The idea was quickly discarded for a number of reasons, the principal being that you are spreading the photons so much that not enough would reach the other side, at least at any meaningful distance.
>
> Photon detectors that could work are in the scientific instrument category, thus really expensive.
>
> From photos, we know that each satellite has at least two lasers, so we can assume at least in-plane communications.
>
> Best,
>
> Mike
> On Oct 28, 2021, 11:01 +0300, Ulrich Speidel <ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz>, wrote:
>
> On 28/10/2021 7:29 am, Michael Richardson wrote:
>
> I guess the real question is: have you written the Hollywood Security
> Theatre
> script based upon this issues, and can I play the geek that explains
> this? :-)
>
> Sure!
>

> - Tell satellites where to send packets (in something along the
>
> lines of a
>
> long header, as in AX.25 for example). Then a sending ground station
>
> would
>
> need a complete almanach of the constellation and an idea as to
>
> where the
>
> receiving ground station is, and which satellite it would use for the
> downlink. Pros: The sending ground station can do all the number
>
> crunching on
>
> ground rather than space power. Cons:  Header size costs bandwidth.
>

> From what I understood, Starlink shipped some kind of comodity SDN capable
> chip. So MPLS, or SRv6 ought to be easy, costing only a few bytes
> interpreted in hardware, and a path computation element on the ground
> should
> be able to deal with the calculation.
>
> It's a challenging situation perhaps because the network effectively gets
> rewired every few minutes, but ground based computation should be able to
> deal with the problem.
>

> That presumes that the ground station has complete topology information
> for the constellation, though. That includes knowing about defective
> satellites and lasers etc., birds deviating from assigned orbit.
>
> But in principle, I can see how that could work, yes.
>

> - Get the satellites to work out where stuff needs to be sent. If
>
> they were
>
> to use something like Bellman-Ford here, that would require an enormous
> [...]

Fixing Starlink's Latencies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gLo6Xrwgw

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC