[Starlink] SpaceX ordered to explain pricing strategy

Jeremy Austin jeremy at aterlo.com
Tue Apr 12 18:30:36 EDT 2022

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 1:25 PM Mike Puchol <mike at starlink.sx> wrote:

> The frequency re-use is a factor of steering angle. Take these two spot
> beams, and the cells that they cover. The left side is a beam almost at
> nadir, the right side is close to maximum steering angle. Any hexagonal
> cell inside the beam’s footprint cannot be covered by another beam (from
> same or other satellite), as the overlap would violate the restrictions on
> Starlink’s license:

 I don't disagree with the description of this type of spatial reuse.  It
will be interesting to see how nonlinear the capacity growth due to tighter
angles is, however, and whether it's more like a 4x increase or an 8x
increase.

The question of whether they can achieve their goals without additional
reuse (for example, covering a given hex with more than one channel) is
open. Fun times.

Jeremy Austin
Sr. Product Manager
Preseem | Aterlo Networks