[Starlink] Electric power for Dishy

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Apr 18 20:06:31 EDT 2022

I have rectangular dishy here in Berkeley where I can't test it, because
we're not a supported area yet. Dishy is going to Macdoel, California, off
of the grid, to run an SDR transceiver on 10 acres where I can have any
antenna I want. There are currently "1200 watts" of solar (derate that to
25% for practical use) and a bunch of lead-acid batteries in a 48V system,
inside of a hi-cube freight container.

Currently my plan is to plug the router into an inverter. The one on hand
is pure sine, but I don't expect Dishy to care. Switching power supplies
generally have a wide voltage range and are independent of wave shape or
frequency or even whether the input is AC or DC.

I'd be interested if anyone else has had to produce off-grid power for
Dishy, and how they have done it.

    Thanks

    Bruce