[Starlink] Electric power for Dishy

Mike Puchol mike at starlink.sx
Mon Apr 18 23:42:25 EDT 2022

Here is what I (tentatively) call the LeoBox, which I use for testing a Starlink terminal. It features a boost converter that takes 24V to 56V, then delivers it via a Tycon injector. The punch line on power is that during boot, it can draw up to 210W for 2-5 seconds. If your source or boost converter cannot take the amperage, and it climbs really quick from 12-14W, you get into a reboot cycle. After that, with no traffic it will sit at 30-50W, with heavy loads it will climb to 80W. I have condensed a 1 hour drive test into 15 minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExU-_VHWjA

This is a Gen2 terminal, ie round with fewer RF controllers/drivers.

Best,

Mike