[Starlink] No RDOF-Funds for Starlink

Daniel AJ Sokolov daniel at falco.ca
Mon Aug 22 15:47:33 EDT 2022

Hello,

Starlink was posed to receive 900 million USD from the FCC's Rural
Digital Opportunity Fund to bring broadband internet to unserviced areas
of the United States - until it wasn't.

Earlier this month, the FCC decided NOT to give Starlink any of the 900
million dollars after all.
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-22-848A1.pdf

"The Bureau has determined that, based on the totality of the long-form
applications, the expansive service areas reflected in their winning
bids, and their inadequate responses to the Bureau’s follow-up
questions, LTD and Starlink are not reasonably capable of complying with
the Commission’s requirements. The Commission has an obligation to
protect our limited Universal Service Funds and to avoid extensive
delays in providing needed service to rural areas, including by avoiding
subsidizing risky proposals that promise faster speeds than they can
deliver, and/or propose deployment plans that are not realistic or that
are predicated on aggressive assumptions and predictions. We observe
that Ookla data reported as of July 31, 2022 indicate that Starlink’s
speeds have been declining from the last quarter of 2021 to the second
quarter of 2022, including upload speeds that are falling well below 20
Mbps. Accordingly, we deny LTD’s and Starlink’s long-form applications,
and both are in default on all winning bids (...)"

(For purposes of Starlink, you can ignore the parts about LTD Broadband.)

Also note this 2021 study showing Starlink's impending capacity crunch:

We forecast a capacity shortfall in 2028:
- 56% of RDOF subscribers are congested in a forecasted
low demand scenario
- More locations will be impacted if RDOF usage is higher,
or SpaceX launches fewer satellites by 2028
. RDOF service could be significantly worse if Starlink
capacity is allocated to non-RDOF use cases

https://www.ntca.org/sites/default/files/documents/2021-02/FBA_LEO_RDOF_Assessment_Final_Report_20210208.pdf

FYI
Daniel