[Starlink] Starlink "beam spread"

Mike Puchol mike at starlink.sx
Tue Aug 30 16:09:28 EDT 2022

Given that I may have triggered this, and with my limited understanding of how Starlink is put together from a resource allocation standpoint, first, some caveats:

• A simulation without inside knowledge is always going to be an approximation. In my case, it’s usually the best-case scenario.
• The simulation of a country should not be done in isolation to increase realism. Many of the satellites over the northern US are also serving Canada, which means there are less resources available to US cells than the simulation portrays.
• The real constellation would allocate resources based on demand, primarily, and Starlink knows said demand quite accurately (once ESIMs are in place, this will change!). Thus, cells which are in very densely populated areas, which I include, would likely receive very few resources, if any. Many empty cells or those with no customers won’t receive resources either.

Starlink has essentially these mechanisms to increase the number of cells covered by the constellation at any given time (others like number of beams are fixed in hardware):

• TDM aka beamhopping: split 100% of “airtime” into frames, and allocate certain number of frames to more than one cell. Can provide asymmetric capacity based on demand per cell. The switching time from cell to cell is the driver for how far you can split the beam in the time domain, before the switching overhead starts killing performance.

• Beam spread: as the beam is steered away from nadir, it becomes larger and elliptical, thus covering more than one cell (apart from the target cell). Allows to split the beam resources allocated to the center cell amongst all other cells in the FOR (field of regard). Cannot be asymmetric without enforcing terminal discipline, where each terminal is receiving 100% of the downlink (which could be 10% of the full beam if TDM splits into 10 cells), but is only grabbing what is addressed to it specifically (akin to an LTE network).

• Multiple beams over a single cell: up to eight spot beams can be projected onto a single cell without running into EPFD limits, as long as each one uses one of the eight frequencies available. These simultaneous beams could come from one or more satellites. This is how you can get additional capacity to a cell, for example, to compensate for reduction by TDM. Two beams at 50% duty cycle make up for one full beam. The advantage is spatial diversity, where a terminal that has one satellite obstructed could opt from a beam from a different, non-obstructed satellite.

We must also understand provisioned vs. advertised capacity. In Kenya, we provision 1.5 Mbps per customer, but advertise and sell a 5 Mbps service. Actual average per customer is 1.2 Mbps. If we took a single beam capable of 700 Mbps (many observations and circumstantial evidence support this figure), at 1.5 Mbps provisioned it would serve ~466 customers. Once you start applying TDM, beam spread, etc. the number reduces, and can only be compensated by adding additional beams. It’d be interesting to hear what ISPs in the US provision their customers with.

Of course fiber is the top option if you can get it economically, but if there are vast regions of the US (not considered a developing country) still not serviced by it, or even by fast WISPs, then there are reasons to look for alternatives - I’m willing to bet a financial analysis doesn’t warrant laying thousands of kilometers of fiber to serve relatively few customers. Starlink is providing significant service levels to people who could only dream, with all its growing pains and inefficiencies.

If you start talking about “connecting the unconnected” (a kitten dies every time that one is said), then fiber is one option, but it becomes more relevant for major backhaul, not even middle or last mile. People who have a disposable income of $1 to $5 per month just cannot be serviced by a financially viable service that relies on fiber. Here, you need to start getting creative.

Best,

Mike