[Starlink] Starlink "beam spread"

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Aug 30 19:13:06 EDT 2022

They are going for simple to use. That favors per-location uses. I haven't seen
them doing anything to discourage local ISP type networks, and some of the
things I've seen them do (in terms of starlink to remote Indian villages) seems
like they are probably doing a single Starlink + local wifi.

Their 'business' version seems ideal for this local ISP approach.

But that takes someone on the ground willing to take the work on to
build/maintain such a network. Not hard for someone who knows what they are
doing and has an in with the local regulators, but for SpaceX to push it would
be a distraction to their staff and bring on even more accusations of their
service being unsuitable (remember, this started off from the claim that a
dedicated dish per house wasn't acceptably fast)

David Lang