[Starlink] Starlink "beam spread"

Mike Puchol mike at starlink.sx
Wed Aug 31 03:36:04 EDT 2022

A couple of notes on things said in the thread:
> But do Starlink actually see Mike supplying 100 people as helpful, or do they see it as 99 customers they can no longer sell a dishy to? Given how they push their services into the market, I suspect it might be the latter.

This is what we have seen - they started with an expensive service, expensive terminal. They acquired all the early adopters who go for Starlink come what may, price is no object, because they can justify it. Now, they start reducing prices to catch the next “wave” that didn’t see a fit within their needs / finances.

With Africa, even the cheaper pricing now is only affordable to 0.05% of the population (600k to 1 million users). To reach the deeper market, they will need to allow creative solutions, but that will only happen once they have tapped the available steps in the financial ladder.
> My central thesis has long been that 25/5 mbit service - debloated -
> was more than good enough for your typical family of 4, no matter the
> country, WFH, or not.

We provide a 5 Mbps service (1.5 Mbps provisioned), and Kenyans consume 220 GB per month on average over it. This is on par with “western” nations. I’m not so sure about the debloated part though :-)

Best,

Mike