[Starlink] Starlink "beam spread"

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed Aug 31 16:28:09 EDT 2022

On Wed, 31 Aug 2022, David P. Reed via Starlink wrote:

> My point is that the discussion here has focused entirely on achievable bitrate maximum, with no load and no burstiness.

well, to be fair, some of that is in response to 'just looking at the bitrate,
starlink cannot possibly perform well' posts

> This isn't fixed by having more spatial control, to the extent that is
> possible.

agreed, the spactial control discussion is just a response to 'it can't
possibly...' posts

> It *is* fixable by suitable Automatic Queue Management in the
> satellite path (which will be the "bottleneck link" between the home and the
> public Internet), plus suitable end-to-end protocol congestion management that
> responds to drops or ECN. (I don't know if the satellite looks at the packet
> hard enough and has enough state to set the ECN bit or that it has enough
> state to achieve bloom filter based fair queue dropping).

if the sats are going to have the ability to route through other satellites,
they have to be looking at the packets, and once you start doing that, looking
at ECN should not be a significant load.

David Lang