[Starlink] latency under load in NZ

Ulrich Speidel u.speidel at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Dec 7 18:27:03 EST 2022

It always bugs me to read the word "speed" in documents like these when
they mean "data rate". The speed for all cable-bound technologies
involved is about the same give or take a few percent and it's measured
in metres/second.

That taken into account, the figures given in the report are believable
and reflect my experience here in NZ. What the report doesn't mention is
pricing - HFC starts from NZ$53 (US$34) a month with my provider
(Vodafone), Fibre Max from NZ$89 (US$57) - what you can get depends on
where you are.

BTW (Dave already knows) - we've gotten ourselves a Starlink unit as a
technology reference platform at the School, and I took it on its first
outing last week. We have a roaming subscription (NZ$199 / US$126) so
don't expect top data rates. We went to a park in Auckland as campus is
too built up and too H&S encumbered for operation on a roof.  This is
what we saw on 3 interleaved tests using speedtest.net in the early
afternoon (all figures in Mb/s).

*Server*

*Test 1*

**

**

*Test 2*

**

**

*Test 3 *

**

**

*Average*

**

**

**

/up/

/down/

/ping/

/up/

/down/

/ping/

/up/

/down/

/ping/

/up/

/down/

/ping/

*Spark*

15.13

76.01

38

4.18

74.09

4.18

11.52

75.39

92

10.28

75.16

44.73

*Vocusgroup*

9.74

64.85

54

1.4

76.56

31

12.27

54.42

36

7.80

65.28

40.33

*MyRepublic*

6.74

176.1

33

10.99

129.3

63

11.98

110.6

40

9.90

138.68

45.33

*Kordia*

3.01

124.1

43

14.29

150.3

32

2.39

85

63

6.56

119.82

46.00

**

*Average:*

8.66

110.27

42.00

7.72

107.58

32.55

9.54

81.36

57.75

8.64

99.74

44.10

Caveat: The park was still Central Auckland, so in an environment where
there would have been very few subscribers for many miles around.
Physical latency to / from satellite should have been well under 10 ms,
so if Dave's rabbiting on about too much latency and bufferbloat in
Starlink, he has a serious point here. Even accounting for use of South
Island gateways, fibre backhaul to Auckland and BDP-sized buffers along
the way, these numbers are not a good look at all!

On 8/12/2022 11:11 am, Dave Taht via Starlink wrote:
> https://comcom.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/295804/MBNZ-Spring-Report-2022-27-October-2022.pdf
> <https://comcom.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/295804/MBNZ-Spring-Report-2022-27-October-2022.pdf>
>
> --
> This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
> https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
> <https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz>
> Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC

Dr. Ulrich Speidel