[Starlink] Starlink for Tonga?

Christian von der Ropp cvdr at vdr.net
Mon Feb 7 14:05:38 EST 2022

But in practice the satellites won't be sitting and waiting at the edge
of this 940km radius. They are moving in and out the radius and the
question is if satellite density is high enough so that once the serving
satellite loses its gateway link there's another satellite in the 940km
radius which also covers Tonga. And then this new satellite cannot be
within certain elevation angles (~60-80° at 0° azimuth) where the
geostationary arc crosses Fijian skies and the gateway antennas have to
seize emission. My gut feeling is that availability in Tonga would be
<90% simply because it's too far out at the edge of a Fijian gateway's
range where there will be frequent service interruptions.