[Starlink] Starlink for Tonga?

Ulrich Speidel ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Feb 7 15:38:13 EST 2022

I've been watching (and commenting on) this ever since one of our MPs
tweeted Elon Musk with a plea for help for Tonga (and as the PhD
supervisor of Tonga's first PhD student in Computer Science and someone
who has had Pacific connectivity at the core of his work, I've got a
fairly good understanding of what "Tonga offline" means in practice).
That said...

- Practical range from gateway ground station to user ground station is
more like 300-400 km. Fiji-Tongatapu is twice that distance.
- Countless images of gateways (and fencing around it) suggest that
satellite elevation from gateways needs to be a bit more than 25deg.
- Satellite density in the tropics is lowest for Starlink's currently
operational 53 degree inclination network.
- It's my understanding that dishys don't actually track using their
motors, which they use only to position themselves initially in the
direction of the highest satellite density (=wherever your closest 53rd
parallel is, basically). That's a strategy that doesn't really work in
the tropics because you can't see the sky above the 53rd parallel. So
here, your dishys would need to know to point west-north-west.

While it's encouraging to see Starlink send folk to Fiji to scout things
out (there are plenty of Fijian outlying islands where Starlink service
would be welcome, too, at least by the locals, not necessarily by the
regulators), I don't hold my breath on them making serious inroads when
it comes to alleviating the current connectivity crisis.

The cable ship (CS SubCom Reliance) tasked with repair of the cable is
on site and, judging by its AIS track, has located the end of the cable
coming from Tongatapu. It appears to have shifted a significant distance
south (around 1-2 km), possibly as a result of a turbidite flow
(underwater landslide) from a seamount in the area that was triggered by
the eruption at Hunga further north (my going theory anyway - there's a
seamount right where it needs to be for that sort of damage and there's
no other event that explains the timing of the cable outage). Either
way, if the area is suitable for re-laying the cable, Tonga should be
back online within the next week. Otherwise add a week or two.

On 8/02/2022 8:06 am, Nathan Owens wrote:
> You can simulate it on starlink.sx
> <http://starlink.sx>,
> maybe Mike will chime in with what he found in doing that.
>
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 11:05 AM Christian von der Ropp <cvdr at vdr.net>
> wrote:
>
>     But in practice the satellites won't be sitting and waiting at the
>     edge of this 940km radius. They are moving in and out the radius
>     and the question is if satellite density is high enough so that
>     once the serving satellite loses its gateway link there's another
>     satellite in the 940km radius which also covers Tonga. And then
>     this new satellite cannot be within certain elevation angles
>     (~60-80° at 0° azimuth) where the geostationary arc crosses Fijian
>     skies and the gateway antennas have to seize emission. My gut
>     feeling is that availability in Tonga would be <90% simply because
>     it's too far out at the edge of a Fijian gateway's range where
>     there will be frequent service interruptions.
>

>     Am 07.02.2022 um 19:51 schrieb Nathan Owens:
>>     The current coverage radius of a gateway/ground station with a 25
>>     degree minimum elevation is ~940km, so nothing in theory.
>>
>>     On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 10:50 AM Daniel AJ Sokolov
>>     <daniel at sokolov.eu.org> wrote:
>>
>>         Hello,
>>
>>         I hope this is not offtopic: Starlink wants to build a ground
>>         station on
>>         Fiji to supply Tonga with internet.
>>
>>         The distance between Tonga and Fiji is about 750 km minimum.
>>         That's
>>         quite the distance.
>>
>>         What does Starlink have to do to make this work?
>>
>>         Cheers
>>         Daniel

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science