[Starlink] Starlink for Tonga?

Daniel AJ Sokolov daniel at falco.ca
Tue Feb 8 01:25:19 EST 2022

On 2022-02-07 at 21:46, Inemesit Affia wrote:
> StarLink may be providing layer 2 connectivity rather than IP. A ground
> station can act as a receiver in this case in Tonga and provide
> connectivity directly to the Tonga Telco network. Using ground station type
> antenna may help with performance.

That would only help the main island of Tonga, but none of the other
islands - until the domestic cable is fixed. But by the time the
domestic cable is fixed, the international cable will have been fixed
for some time already.

In any case, I understand the Starlink-for_Tonga idea started with a
Twitter exchange with Mr. Musk on the topic of shipping Starlink user
terminals to Tonga.

Cheers
Daniel