[Starlink] Starlink for Tonga?

Mike Puchol mike at starlink.sx
Tue Feb 8 03:47:41 EST 2022

Thank you for the great detail on the situation!

On link budgets, we are talking about a delta in slant range at minimum elevation of 15° of ~900 km, compared to 25°. SpaceX already stated that they would operate gateways above 60° latitude at elevations as low as 5°, so they have plenty spare in terms of gateway to satellite. The biggest rain fade impact would be on the service links, as the UT cannot increase power that much, no matter how much the satellite increases its side. Still, the biggest impact on Fiji and Tonga is the GSO protection, which takes out 36° of usable sky, all the way from East to West.

As for banning Dishy, the difference with satellite TV is that you can detect the uplink at 14-14.5 GHz and home in on “violators”, you can’t just hide it under some tarp ;-)

Best,

Mike