[Starlink] saving ship 20

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Feb 12 13:36:10 EST 2022

Yo Dave!

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 09:01:50 -0800
Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> (is there a good email list for spacex, rather than starlink stuff?
> I'm really not into twitter, reddit, etc)
>
> After watching elon musk's presentation thursday night I was struck by
> the symbolism of ship 20 behind him and wondering why the planned
> flight was to attempt a splashdown at the end.

I agree this is not the place, but if not, where?

> I could think of a more leapfrog-like approach where they left it in
> orbit, to analyze the effects of a longer term stay there, testing
> restarts, or vacuum welding problems on the engines, using as a
> agena-like target for rendezvous maneuvers, trying out repairing or
> replacing various parts...

It is very hard to inspecct a booster in space.  One of the big wins for
the returnable rocket has been the after action failure analysis.  You
can see all the things the almost screwed the mission, Then improve them
for the next one.

And, as we have seen many times, getting back in one piece is the hardest
part to get right.

> Do they not have enough thrust, even with an empty payload bay, to
> stay up there?

I'm sure they do, but to stay up they would need a course corrction
or two.

> Is there a dummy payload planned? I was thinking of one of bigalow's
> demo inflatable habs, and along that rathole was, why not just cut a
> hole in the side and spray in insulation...

Maybe another Tesla?

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588