[Starlink] Starlink Roaming

Dick Roy dickroy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 21 20:19:13 EST 2022

  _____

From: Starlink [mailto:starlink-bounces at lists.bufferbloat.net] On Behalf Of
Nathan Owens
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2022 3:16 PM
To: Steve Golson
Cc: starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net
Subject: Re: [Starlink] Starlink Roaming

Oh duh, yes, reading the wrong bit. It definitely has GPS, but beyond that,
not sure.

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 3:08 PM Steve Golson <sgolson at trilobyte.com> wrote:

On 2/21/22 4:58 PM, Nathan Owens wrote:
> Per the debug data, the dish has GPS, a Gyroscope, a Magnetometer, and an
Accelerometer.

Actually, the app is reporting the sensors that your phone has, not what the
dish has.

The dish has GPS and accelerometer at least. Perhaps a magnetometer as well,
but it can find north just using GPS.

[RR] I'd be interested in knowing how the dishy gets orientation from GPS.
Does it have three spatially diverse GPS antennas and receivers so it can
determine its orientation?  I suspect not. Also, a single accelerometer and
magnetometer are generally insufficient to uniquely determine orientation in
3-D space.  There's clearly a bit more to this to uncover:-)))

RR

-Steve

Steve Golson / Trilobyte Systems / +1.978.369.9669 / sgolson at trilobyte.com
Consulting in: Verilog, synthesis, patent analysis, reverse engineering