[Starlink] Tonga's international cable is back up

Ulrich Speidel ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 22 02:31:25 EST 2022

FWIW... this restores connectivity to ~80% of Tonga's population.

The domestic cable may be up to 9 months off, depending on cable lead
time, apparently it's got to come from France. In the interim, there's
work on more satellite connectivity, I heard from a satellite ISP in NZ
today that they were about to ship a few units for Eutelsat links up. I
haven't heard any further about operational readiness of Starlink, but
have heard from a well-connected source that the dishys delivered to
Tonga will remain in Tongan government service in underconnected places
if and when service becomes available.

I would expect them to hang onto a couple of units for Tongatapu just in
case there'll be more turbidity currents messing with the cable, heaven
forbid.

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science

Room 303S.594 (City Campus)