[Starlink] Starlink Roaming

Ulrich Speidel ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 22 02:58:45 EST 2022

Perhaps worth remembering that they don't have to engineer the final
system right now. Consider that:

- Building ground station gateways costs money, but as the number of
subscribers grows, so does the income stream that allows for ground
station construction.
- Gateway ground stations, if generally kept close to users, at least
where there are lots of users, don't have the problem that there's no
land to put them on as there aren't normally lots of users in the middle
of the sea.
- Where there are more than 10k users, someone will generally put a
fibre optic cable there or at least think hard about how they can get
that done. We've seen this widely in the Pacific, where such islands now
generally have fibre (with some notable exceptions). Once you have
fibre, there's no reason why you can't have a LEO ground station there.
So you can generally always build more
- Constellations that are short of capacity can be added to
incrementally. Remember Starlink is at a very early stage of what
they're planning.
- Satellite capacity depends on a lot of things, from on-board
processing capacity to the bandwidth of the uplinks and downlinks and
the received signal levels on those. Current Starlink gateway antennas
are tiny by satellite infrastructure standards, but that doesn't
preclude bigger antennas and more gateways for the future, which allows
more satellites to be provided with direct gateway links.

In some ways, this evolution mirrors that of mobile networks. In the
early stage of mobile network evolution, the providers aimed at getting
coverage with the least number of base stations from the highest hills
and buildings available. These never had the potential to provide the
capacity that today's networks have, so as the networks evolved, they
moved down from the lofty heights to the bottom of the valleys, cashing
in on improved frequency re-use potential (you could re-use the same
frequency a valley over, you see, because the ridge between yours and
theirs meant that signals wouldn't interfere). It also meant less path
loss to the end users (so more battery life for them). Not to mention
fewer lawsuits from people who were worried about large towers
irradiating their kids. The cost of those lawsuits, by the way, was seen
simply as something to factor in when making engineering decisions.

On 22/02/2022 8:20 pm, Dick Roy wrote:

> [...]
Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science

Room 303S.594 (City Campus)