[Starlink] Seminar TODAY on Zoom (on Tonga cable outage and things learned )

Ulrich Speidel ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 23 08:11:31 EST 2022

Putting a last minute plug in for myself, for those on the list that are
interested. I'm giving a seminar today:

When: Thursday 24 February, 1 pm NZDT (that's Wednesday 23 February, 7
pm Eastern Time or midnight UTC), via Zoom:
https://auckland.zoom.us/j/94133794419?pwd=bmNxbThQVWYxOEFObGkxa2QvVlYrUT09

Abstract: Over the last five weeks, I've observed the effort to
reconnect Tonga to the Internet with privileged access and got work with
a number of great people from a huge diversity of backgrounds. This
seminar will be a stock take on what we know so far as to why the
international fibre optic cable connection to Tonga failed in the
aftermath of the Hunga Tonga Hunga Ha'apai volcanic eruption (hint: It
wasn't the volcanic blast itself nor the tsunami that followed). I'll
look at why satellite services struggled to fill the breach initially,
at what was done to repair the cable, and about what the cable ship's
movements and initial findings tell us and what this potentially means
for fibre optic submarine communication elsewhere.

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science

Room 303S.594 (City Campus)

The University of Auckland