[Starlink] Tonga's international cable is back up

Ulrich Speidel u.speidel at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Feb 22 03:31:06 EST 2022

Matangitonga said that Starlink wanted to launch this week. But I
haven't heard confirmation from anyone that they actually have.

I guess a dishy without a link might still make a nice coffee table if
nothing else & might even keep your coffee at temperature for a bit
longer, but seriously: I suppose they must think in earnest that they'll
be able to deliver at least some service some percentage of the time,
which is more than some of the smaller places have right now. And I
don't really want to dump on them - at least they tried, as did with
varying levels of success almost everybody else in the satellite
business, and that's really all you can ask for.

Tongans are also an incredibly patient and grateful people, whatever
they have they make do with. I first had plenty of opportunity to
witness this when we went there on our honeymoon in 2003. One of the
island villages we stayed on in the Ha'apai group had piped water to the
beachfront properties installed yonks ago, before they got electricity.
Then the Australians brought electricity around 2002 & used a trench
digger to put the cable in along the main drag, unaware that there were
water pipes in the ground. The locals were too grateful for the
electricity to complain that they now needed to walk to the cistern to
get their water, and the problem remained unsolved a year later - we had
to wash from big barrels and a bit of rainwater off the roof. As we left
Ha'apai after a hair-raising boat passage in a 4 m boat in 6 m swells,
we didn't have a flight booked, so went to the Ha'apai office of the
long since defunct Royal Tongan Airlines to book ourselves on the next
flight out. The two ladies in the office gave us their most welcoming
smiles, along with the regret that they couldn't book us a ticket as the
computer were down. We asked how long such outages typically lasted and
were told that they didn't know but this one had lasted three months
already. We then made our way to the airport with the help of a few
bored Mormon missionaries. We were the only people there until the
station manager turned up. He reckoned there would be seats and told us
that he was the local baker as well and had been trying out artisan
bread recipes, which the locals liked, but was finding it difficult to
get the right flour. Nice chat! Eventually the plane arrived early
without any passengers. Pilots and station manager spent ten seconds
bitching about their employer (rightfully so, a long story I shan't
repeat - but neither the employees' nor the management's fault, though),
then the pilots decided that they wanted lunch in Vava'u and off we took
15 minutes ahead of schedule...

u.speidel at auckland.ac.nz
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~ulrich/