[Starlink] Bad news from Tonga

Ulrich Speidel ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Feb 27 17:33:10 EST 2022

We've just learned that the Reliance cable ship was unable to recover
any more of the domestic cable and has departed to Papua New Guinea.
They're looking at a 6-9 months downtime until new cable can be procured.

Most of the domestic cable route is at the bottom of a valley between
Hunga and various seamounts and small islands on one side, and the
subduction uplift ridge west of the Tonga trench on which the Ha'apai
group sits. I'm not surprised - that valley would have copped a lot of
turbidites from potentially all sides.

One interesting tidbit now is that they are talking about 85 km of cable
missing. The previous number was 77 km.

Bummer.

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science