[Starlink] starlink at sea

Mike Puchol mike at starlink.sx
Thu Jul 14 07:15:26 EDT 2022

On the multiple terminals, I have verified that the duty cycle of a consumer terminal is 14%, thus, you could have 7 terminals on a single uplink channel with some guard time. I have seen 30 Mbps up, so you’d be able to push 210 Mbps in uplink, or a spectral efficiency of about 3.4 bps/Hz.

From the satellite side, maybe EPFD limits don’t apply over water bodies, and they can place multiple co-frequency beams onto a single cell, which would allow throughputs into multiple gigabits per second (if no other usage around of course).

I’m working on simulating ship scenarios on my tracker, along with other features.

Best,

Mike