[Starlink] starlink extensions over uk

Ulrich Speidel u.speidel at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 27 09:37:09 EDT 2022

On 27/07/2022 1:35 am, Mike Puchol via Starlink wrote:

> The interference is directly in-band, as the Ku and Ka bands are used
> both by satellite TV, GEO data systems, and Starlink. Thus, if a
> Starlink satellite in-line between a satellite TV customer and the GEO
> satellite, the satellite TV customer would experience considerable
> interference. This is why Starlink satellites, gateways, or user
> terminals cannot transmit anywhere between 10º above and 10º below the
> GSO arc (18º previously).

Hang on a second - there's a terminology issue here relating to the term
"band". "Ku band" refers to frequencies between (roughly) 12-18 GHz and
"Ka band" to frequencies between about 26-40 GHz. "Out-of-band
interference" refers to signals emanating from a transmitter that are
outside its intended signal bandwidth - and that signal bandwidth is
normally a lot smaller than the bandwidth of the Ku or Ka band - unless
we're talking UWB applications here, and we're not.

A Starlink satellite or ground station will only ever transmit (wanted
signal) within a small sub-band within these bands. For example, in NZ,
Starlink only holds licenses for five 500 MHz sub-bands of Ka between
27.5 GHz and 30 GHz, and half a dozen 250 MHz subbands of the Ku band.
So we can safely assume that any transmissions from Starlink ground
stations will take place within these limits. We can also safely assume
that an individual transmission between a ground station and a single
satellite will occupy at most one of these sub-bands, and for Dishys
it's likely to be a lot less than that.

Any GEO sat listening to that sub-band from behind the transmission's
target Starlink bird would indeed experience in-band interference. Any
GEO sat listening to other sub-bands of Ka or Ku that the one used for
uplink may also experience interference, but in this case it's out of
band because it isn't within the sub-band that the Starlink ground
station transmits in.

Normally:

  * A transmitter will be designed so as to minimise emissions outside
    its core wanted signal spectrum in the sub-band / channel in which
    it's operating. Why? Because power outside that core bandwidth is
    wasted, and can be a source of interference to others. This is
    achieved with a band pass filter around the transmit frequency that
    is designed to let the wanted signal pass and hold anything else back.
  * Similarly, a receiver listening to a signal on a different frequency
    will use a band pass filter to keep signals outside that wanted
    frequency range out.

Think of ideal signals as being vehicles on a road that stick to their
own lane so they don't bump into each other. So where's the problem? The
problem is twofold: Firstly, receivers are designed to handle very weak
signals and amplify them to the point where they "mean something" if
there's any meaning to be had in them. Secondly, those band pass filters
aren't perfect. They suppress signals in the unwanted part of by a
decent amount but not completely. How "decent" an amount depends on the
construction of the band pass filter, and that in turn depends on size,
precision, material, number of filter elements, resistive losses etc. It
also depends on how far that frequency of interest that you want to have
suppressed is from the band that that band pass filter will let pass.
The further the better.

For the GHz microwave spectrum in which the Ku and Ka bands lie, band
pass filters are essentially just appropriately shaped pieces of metal.
Size isn't so much the issue as wavelengths are very short, but
precision and material / resistive losses (skin effect) are. There's
only so much gold you want to put into a Dishy and gold only gets you
that far.

So in order to interfere with a GEO sat receiver, a Starlink ground
terminal will have to either:

1) Produce a spurious signal in an unwanted part of the spectrum (not to
be confused with antenna side lobes, that's a different type of unwanted
signal - any part of the spectrum but wrong direction of propagation and
normally at a much lower power level). In any decent transmitter with
band pass filter, this is likely to be several orders of magnitude below
the wanted signal. That unwanted signal has to propagate along the much
longer path to the GEO sat, where it is subject to path loss. It then
has to arrive at the GEO sat with sufficient signal strength in order to
raise the noise + interference level at the GEO sat's receiver to a
point where the signal-to-noise-plus-interference ratio at the receiver
falls below the minimum required for that sat's mission.

2) Have its wanted signal communicate well beyond its intended target
(extra path loss again) to have it suppressed to a good extent by the
band pass filter at the GEO sat receiver that is there to keep out of
band signals out. If the residual signal from the Starlink terminal is
still strong enough to raise the noise + interference floor at the
receiver enough to lower the signal-to-noise-plus-interference ratio at
the GEO sat, then again we have a problem.

Sadly, both are possible - however as I've argued, it's probably less of
an issue with Starlink than with other types of NGSO services.

Side lobes are usually orders of magnitude below the main lobe, so tend
to be less of an issue than the main lobe as they project a much lower
signal to start with. Plus these signals aren't correlated when coming
from different transmitters, so it's a matter of "powers add" not
"amplitudes add", and powers drop by one over distance squared, so...
I'm not sure how seriously one should take these complaints.

In the RF world, not everything is as it seems. When they ask you to
turn your mobile (cell) off on the plane, the usual grounds proffered
are some nebulous claims of interference with navigational systems -
which hasn't actually stopped people from putting base stations into
airliners, although their means of navigation haven't changed all that
much. Plus, a lot of planes fly with active cellphones on board. The
reason why airlines don't want this is because the mobile networks
aren't designed for handovers at several hundred knots from 30,000 feet,
where a phone can keep a large number of base stations very busy with
handovers. So the mobile operators require airlines to minimise this
nuisance - and that's why they play on your fear of flying, and why it's
become an accepted part of flying culture that your plane might crash if
you leave your phone on... ;-)

u.speidel at auckland.ac.nz
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~ulrich/