[Starlink] Finite-Buffer M/G/1 Queues with Time and Space Priorities

Luca Muscariello muscariello at ieee.org
Wed Jul 27 13:23:34 EDT 2022

On Wed 27 Jul 2022 at 17:34, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Occasionally I pass along a recent paper that I don't understand in
> the hope that someone can enlighten me.
> This is one of those occasions, where I am trying to leverage what I
> understand of existing FQ-codel behaviors against real traffic.

I’m not sure how realistic the model is. The delay-sensitive class gets
non-preemptive service prioritization over the loss-sensitive class (
dequeue time) So far so good.
The loss-sensitive class can take advantage of the presence of
delay-sensitive packets in the queue at enqueue time if the buffer is full
by dropping delay sensitive traffic.

I don’t think it models anything useful for fq-codel.
It might be a model for loss-less networks  like fiber channel or things
like NVMe over  Fabric with Ethernet as fabric.