[Starlink] starlink at sea

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:17:52 EDT 2022

I happily got my own starlink terminal last week but haven't mounted
it on my boat properly yet.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 4:15 AM Mike Puchol via Starlink
<starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> On the multiple terminals, I have verified that the duty cycle of a consumer terminal is 14%, thus, you could have 7 terminals on a single uplink channel with some guard time.

What happens with two terminals close together?

>I have seen 30 Mbps up, so you’d be able to push 210 Mbps in uplink, or a spectral efficiency of about 3.4 bps/Hz.

I'm not sure if these two sets of numbers line up. by a duty cycle do
you mean transmitting a burst every x ms, or x amount of energy or ?
My assumption has been that to get 30Mbps up, you were using all
channels available.

There are distinct steps in uplink bandwidth that I see in my data. I
am going to try to get the resolution below a ms after the ethernet
thingi arrives.

This assumption incidentally finally gives me a means with outboard
hardware to better apply a bufferbloat fix, being able to quickly
sense how many channels are in use could [1] feed forward into buffer
sizing in the router itself...

Are you using some sort of gnu radio for your work? There's a pretty
neat project doing 5g outboard too..

[1] but it would remain way easier for them to let me cross compile sch_cake!

> From the satellite side, maybe EPFD limits don’t apply over water bodies, and they can place multiple co-frequency beams onto a single cell, which would allow throughputs into multiple gigabits per second (if no other usage around of course).
>
> I’m working on simulating ship scenarios on my tracker, along with other features.
>
> Best,
>
> Mike
> On Jul 14, 2022, 09:00 +0200, David Lang via Starlink <starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net>, wrote:
>
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2022, Larry Press wrote:
>
> <$50k/month (for all their boats)
>
> Do they have ten ships?
>

> I know of 7 off the top of my head, the three drone ships, the multi-purpose
> recovery ships bob and doug, they got a couple more recently(named for females,
> don't remember the names reliably), all those recovery ships on the east coast,
> so they probably have one or two on the west coast, and I don't think that
> includes the dragon recovery craft.
>
> $150k/month with much better service
>

> Is that for uncapped service from a GEO? What speeds do they get for that? Do GEO folks like Hughes offer SLAs to business customers?
>

> that was for 25G of bandwidth from the post I saw mentioned, they didn't mention
> the speed (but they did show the difference in video quality from the barges
> between the old and new)
>
> David Lang
>
> Does SES offer marine connectivity?
>
> Russian oligarchs will be early customers.
>
> Larry Press

FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC