[Starlink] Finite-Buffer M/G/1 Queues with Time and Space Priorities

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Sat Jul 30 08:55:38 EDT 2022

> I've got a pet theory that the burstiness of internet traffic is an artifact of
> the fact that academics and marketing departments, in a weird kind of unholy
> alliance, keep focusing on peak throughput.

Hmm.

Packet pacing is counterintuitive and tricky to get right.  It's highly
counter-intuitive to most people that delaying packet transmission will
end up reducing latency.  It's tricky to decide how to pace your packets
when you don't know (1) how your congestion window is going to evolve and
(2) how the application demand is going to evolve in the near future.  Let
alone that it reduces cache locality and requires fine-grained timers,
both of which are costly if implemented in software on a general-purpose
OS.

As to academics having sold out to marketing departments -- it seems I've
missed out, where do I collect my share?

-- Juliusz