[Starlink] FQ_Codel

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed Jun 8 22:01:50 EDT 2022

On Wed, 8 Jun 2022, Dave Taht wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 5:21 PM David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>>
>> multiple access points, good. Mesh can make the problem worse.
>>
>> The combination of hidden transmitters (station in the middle can hear stations
>> on both ends, but they can't hear each other and so step on each other) and just
>> more airtime needed ro relay the messages as there are more hops can make the
>> congestion worse (however, it is possible that higher data rates could make the
>> transmissions shorter, but since the inter-aggregate gaps and per-aggregate
>> headers are fixed at a low data rate, I doubt that it works that way in
>> practice)
>>
>> but get a few additional APs hooked together via wires, and you have a clear win
>> that scales very well. It's what we do at the Scale conf with 100+ APs to
>> support 3k+ geeks.
>
> Is there a physical scale conference this year? (It's in LA and a lot
> of space/film folk go there)

yes, it got pushed from the beginning of the year and will not be the last
weekend of July

> For those that don't know, david lang has been putting together the
> fq_codeled APs there for what? 8 years now? Conference feedback on the
> wifi has generally been uniformly positive.

I've been doing the wifi since 2009 and am now co-chair for the network team.

> What APs do you use now?

We are back in the LAX hilton this year, our network is ~50 juniper 4200
switches, 100+ wndr2700/3800s and several miles of cable and a pair of fairly
beefy servers to run the VMs to run and monitor the network. We've been talking
the last 4-5 years of replacing the APs with something newer, but a combination
of a turnover of most of our tech staff, covid, and the unreliability of the
drivers on our first pick has kept us pushing it back year by year (when you are
going to buy 100+ APs it adds up to quite a price tag, especially for an
all-volunteer event)

Over the last couple of years we've setup a couple of the 3800s hooked to a pi
and a couple relays so every build gets auto-flashed and tested and just
finished setting up a system that lets us put a hub/switch in place and flash
the APs to the current version by the DHCP server detecting them come up on the
network.

This year we will be doing an updated version of what I documented here
https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa12/technical-sessions/presentation/lang_david_wireless
but with an even higher density of APs on low power (the walls in this hotel are
pretty good shielding and more people have 5G than did 10 years ago)

If anyone is in the area, stop by and chat. We are always looking for volunteers
to help setup and teardown as well ;-) (setup starts monday, and the guy who
was going to be running monitoring just had to back out if someone wants to
jump in the deep end)

David Lang