[Starlink] Hello List

tom at evslin.com tom at evslin.com
Wed Mar 2 13:29:07 EST 2022

Hi,

After a great tutorial on bufferbloat, David Taht invited me to join this
list, where I'm already learning a lot.

I'm retired from a long career, mainly in computer communications technology
and have extensive, although dated, experience with VoIP from the time when
I founded and ran VoIP wholesaler ITXC. Can't stop programming after 60
years so have been writing open-source Python (great language) shareware.
What's interested me are tools to measure network quality and especially
tools which Windows users can use since they are unlikely to curl, wget, and
sudo when all else fails. I was an early Starlink beta user - 13 months ago
- and am still running Starlink although now also have fiber.

During the late (I hope) pandemic the plight of rural people without
adequate broadband for teleconferencing was acute. I am hopeful Starlink
will be part of an answer and am both intrigued by its ease of deployment
and disappointed by its shortcomings. I am also afraid that the billions the
feds are pouring into "broadband" will not result in building the QoS people
need to prosper in the hybrid digital world. As all of you know, QoS is much
more than up and downlink speed and tough-to-quantify jitter is a huge part
of it. My measurement tool zoomready (at freecheckip.com
<http://freecheckip.com/>  and  https://github.com/tevslin/zoomready) makes
a more or less continuous measurement of jitter but is quite crude; so I'm
hoping to learn how to make that better and also how to calibrate zoomready
ratings with actual teleconferencing performance. Also would love to learn a
way from within the network to determine when obstacles like bufferbloat are
in the router and when they're in the ISP's network.

I also play with a Raspberry PI for more nerdy stuff but think I add more
value making tools available to less experienced users than digging deep
into the technologies where many are more knowledgeable than me.

I look forward to lurking on the list but will certainly respond to ideas.

Nice to meet you.

Tom

Tom Evslin

twitter: @tevslin <https://twitter.com/tevslin>