[Starlink] recent starlink rrul test result

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 10:03:51 EST 2022

There appears only to be variability in the baseline bandwidth of the
link on that 15sec interval. The rest is just the interactions between
our standard congestion control algorithms (cubic in this case), and a
fixed length per packet FIFO queue.

A debloated link would have 10-20ms of variability no matter the
observed bandwidth, in the third panel of this rrul plot.

The upload would have been much larger and flatter than it was in the
second panel, in part due to the fq - (and with sch_cake,
ack-filtering out much of the workload the download put on it) - see
https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/ack_filtering/

and the download bandwidth would have been about the same (across each
15s adjustment), and perhaps better as when we crack 250ms of delay in
either direction our protocols start to act up.